Writer / Reporter for TheMaineWire.com
Writer / Reporter
Maine Policy Institute seeks to hire a remote, part-time writer to assist in content creation for TheMaineWire.com, Maine Policy’s online news and opinion service.
This individual will work closely with the director of communications and editor of The Maine Wire to produce timely, in-depth articles for the website covering the policy and politics of Maine government. They will also conduct investigative reporting into the activities of the governor, the administration and Maine Legislature.
The ideal candidate for this position is an inquisitive, skilled writer with attention to detail and an interest in news and public policy.
- Write a minimum of five articles per week as assigned by the editor related to the activities of state government
- Conduct interviews with politicians and government officials
- Research the legislative and political history of various public policies
- Submit FOAA requests to government departments, agencies and officials to obtain relevant data and information when necessary
- Professional or college newsroom experience, strong writing skills and understanding of AP style
- A bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Political Science or another relevant field
Workplace and Compensation
This role is mostly remote, however this individual may be required to travel a few times a year for key meetings and annual events. This position is a part-time with potential to develop into a full-time position. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the position, resume and writing sample to Jacob Posik, director of communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions may also be sent via email to Mr. Posik. Please no phone calls.
About Maine Policy Institute
Maine Policy Institute is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that conducts detailed and timely research to educate the public, the media, and lawmakers about public policy solutions that advance economic freedom and individual liberty in Maine. Governed by an independent Board of Directors, Maine Policy relies on the generous support of individuals, corporations, and foundations, and does not accept government funds or perform contract work.
About The Maine Wire
The Maine Wire is a news and opinion service dedicated to providing information and perspective on the issues important to Maine people. Founded in 2011 as a project of Maine Policy Institute, it has proved to be an invaluable resource in reporting on stories that would otherwise be ignored by the Maine media and providing a much-needed critical eye to the actions of Maine government. The Maine Wire is the go-to location for free market thought leadership in Maine.